Our History

Our building has been part of the history of the Bay City Public Schools since 1905.

The first building, located on the same spot as the present school, had four rooms and cost $3,800, and followed a recommendation, made by George H. Shearer, member of the board of education. The land was purchased from William McEwan and the building formed a cross with a room extending in each of the four directions, a hall in the center and two doors in the front and back. Miss Lena Carton was the first principal and her salary was $400 a year. The first janitor, who had charge of the hot-air heating apparatus with which the school was equipped, was a woman, Mrs. M. W. Brown.

The fire in 1905, destroying the original building, occurred on Washington's birthday at 9 a.m. and children were then sent to the 10th ward hose house for classes, until an improvised school was prepared for the first and second grade pupils. The third and fourth grades were enrolled in the Sherman school.

One of the most modern of Bay City's elementary buildings, the Woodside school was built in 1905, after the burning of the first school, now recalled as "the little Woodside," the year before. John Kelly, board member of the first ward, was responsible for pushing the fight to build an eight-room building when plans were being made for the present school.

The authorization was given March 10, 1905, and students entered the new building in the fall of 1906. It was the first flat-roofed school in the city, modern in every detail and made of red brick with a full basement, steam heat, electric lights and running water. The eight classrooms were large enough for 40 pupils.

The first kindergarten in the school was opened in 1910 and in 1914 a mother's club was organized. It became a P.T.A. in 1923 with R.W. Barnett, president.

In February, 1930, an addition was erected consisting of six class-rooms, including one of the most modern kindergartens in the state, a full-sized gymnasium and auditorium with a seating capacity of 400, kitchen, clinic, and rest room